Sunday, May 8, 2016

Reflections on Mother's Day

I was just thinking yesterday that it's hard to remember life without kids now that we are almost three years into parenthood, but Mother's Day makes me remember life before Alexis, Jack, and Faith. I wanted kids for years before we actually decided to have a family, and then we struggled with infertility for two years before getting pregnant.

Triplets have been intense. Going from wanting one baby to having a house full of babies is overwhelming, and there have been many days that I've wished we only had one baby at a time (not that it was a choice!). But Mother's Day is a day that I feel overwhelmed with gratitude for our three beautiful children.

I understand that there are many women that are longing to have children and Mother's Day is hard for them. I know all too well what it's like because I spent years longing for children and feeling great disappointment, and the feelings were even more intense on Mother's Day. I want to be sensitive to others' struggles and losses, but at the same time I want to shout to the world how much I love my children and how thankful I am to be able to celebrate my own Mother's Day.

In reality, Mother's Day with three almost 3-year-olds is no vacation. Although Micah is doing all of the cooking and housework, the kids want me to do things for them like change their diaper, help them go potty, and buckle them in their car seats. Although I'd love to have the day off as an observer and have Micah do it all so I can just enjoy the kids, the reality is that a lot of these things just aren't worth the battle, so I do it.

My three requests for the day were a morning run, photos with the kids, and a lemon drop martini tonight. Two of these things have already happened, and we have the ingredients for the third, so I can count my Mother's Day as a success.

I know many moms are not celebrated as well as they should be on Mother's Day for many reasons. Life happens. Husbands don't know what to do. Kids aren't cooperative. But I'm realizing that Mother's Day, at least for me, is not as much about having the day off and getting gifts as it is a time to step back and realize how fortunate I am to have three children who call me Mommy (even if they often yell "Mommy!! Mommy!!" over and over again).

I feel fortunate to have many wonderful moms in my life to emulate including my mom, my mother-in-law, my sisters-in-law, women from church, and all of my mommy friends. This is a tough job, but I am thankful to have others who have gone before me and who are in the trenches with me. Happy Mother's Day!


Alexis on the left, Faith on the right






No comments:

Post a Comment