Monday, April 28, 2014

What did you say?!?

One thing Micah and I have had to adjust to with having triplets is the amount of attention that we draw when we go anywhere with Alexis, Jack, and Faith. Micah and I are not attention seekers so sometimes this is hard for us, but we are getting used to fielding questions and smiling back at stares especially as we go out more often now that the sick season is over. Micah and I went to school with triplets so I don't think we would have gone crazy if we saw triplets out and about as it seemed somewhat normal to us, but some people are downright obsessed with multiples and the comments they make and questions they ask are quite surprising to me. We often get the comments "you are blessed," "you have your hands full," and quite a few people telling us that they are twins themselves. We also get a lot of rude questions such as "are they natural," "do multiples run in your family," and other things that are basically asking whether or not we did fertility treatments. But here are a list of questions and comments that in my opinion are downright ridiculous!


  • "Do you get any sleep?".... Do I really look that awful? Sometimes I'm sure I look pretty tired since I'm running around taking care of three babies all day, but they are 10 months old not newborns, so yes we get sleep.

  • "Are they identical?".... I just told you I have two girls and a boy, so how would that even be anatomically possible?  

  • "The boy looks smaller. Is the boy younger?".... I just told you they were triplets so I don't understand how that would be possible. 

  • "Can I take a picture?".... These are our children not our pets and I don't know you, so NO. I honestly cannot believe people ask us this like we are an exhibit at a zoo.

  • "I don't know what I would do if I had triplets.".... Some people act like this is the worst thing that could have happened to me and they are downright wrong. Our children are amazing and although having three babies at once has its challenges, we love each of them.

  • "You don't look like you carried triplets.".... What does someone that carried triplets look like? I didn't know there was a specific look or body type. I guess this is a compliment saying I have lost the weight, but I feel like it's a really strange thing to say to someone.

  • "I thought twins was bad.".... Having triplets is not a curse and it's not "bad." Honestly.

  • "I'm jealous." .... This is just as strange as saying it's a bad thing to have multiples as this person obviously isn't thinking about all of the challenges of not only carrying three babies in utero but also taking care of three babies at the same time.

  • "I feel bad for the boy." .... People say this ALL of the time and I definitely don't get it. Because he has two sisters? Because he doesn't look like Alexis and Faith since they're identical? Because his automatic playmates are girls? Triplets are just like any other siblings. They are individuals who may or may not play together through the years and I'm sure he will be a great husband someday since he will most likely understand girls in general better than most guys do.

  • "Do you take care of them yourself?!" .... Why is this so hard to believe? Micah comes home after work and helps out, but other than that and family visits I think I do just fine alone most days. 

  • "I can't wait until they have hair." .... Okay, only one person has actually said this to me but I still don't get it. She was a random customer at Costco so I doubt we'll ever see her again. And aren't they just as cute with their short, blond hair? I certainly think they are!

So if you ever see someone out with triplets just smile or say the babies are beautiful. You might be curious about how a mom takes care of them alone or whether or not the triplets were spontaneous, but no one would ask a mom with a single baby these questions so just accept the fact that every mom is doing her best and the path the parents took to get their beautiful baby (or babies) is not important.



6 comments:

  1. I think you're amazing at taking care of 3 little ones with very little help during the day. The early days.home were especially inpressive. I am.included in the group wondering how you can do all 3 without help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodi, but I'm sure with your organization and schedule following you could do it too :).

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness - I can relate to a lot of this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should hear what people say about Asian kids. I always find it hard to believe that a total stranger would have the audacity to ask them where they are from, if I'm their mom (or if their dad is Asian-that's my favorite :), where they learned to speak English so well, if they are brothers and sisters (biological), how much they cost; or to comment that we are so "nice" to have chosen to take care of them. I don't think they stop for a second to think how that would make the kids feel to hear statements like that in public. General rules of civility seem to disappear when kids are "different."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's crazy Laura! People can be so ignorant. How much they cost like you adopted a puppy - wow.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete