Tuesday, August 26, 2014

How to Fly with Two Adults and Three Non-Walking Babes

We just got back from a 17 day vacation in Michigan visiting family. In May we went to MI for the same amount of time and I was really good about updating my blog every couple of days with photos and a little description of what we were doing, but everything felt different this trip and I never really made the time to post to my blog. Anyway, you will have to keep waiting for the fun details of our time in MI as I first want to write about our trip home yesterday.

A few years ago I bumped into a friend-of-a-friend at the Denver airport. She had a newborn baby at the time and her husband is a paraplegic so you can imagine how difficult it would be for them to board the plane. As soon as I saw them I rushed over and said, "I know you through my friend, can I help you get on the plane?" They were relieved to have help and my main job was carrying the baby on the plane so that she could transfer her husband from his wheelchair to the airplane seat. At the time I couldn't imagine how they would have done it alone, but now I know the answer: they just would have done it. I can say this now with greater understanding as yesterday Micah's mom and I flew from Grand Rapids to Minneapolis to ABQ with all three babes in tow and somehow we got home. I wanted to write this post so that those who were curious would get the picture of how we did it (and fellow triplet moms can get some tips), and also so that I can remember when I travel with only two adults and three babes in the future.

First, I was REALLY careful how I packed. I didn't want anything extra in our carry-on baggage so we kept it to four small bags (one backpack for my MIL to wear and three smaller bags that hooked on the handles of the strollers). Since we only had two laps we had to buy a seat for the third baby, so I had a very heavy Diono Radian car seat on my back (it folds up so you can wear it as a backpack). Why four small bags and not one rolling suitcase? Because my MIL and I both had to push strollers since we used our double and single umbrella strollers to travel (our triple does not fit through doorways). Unfortunately we didn't think of taking a pic at the time as I'm sure we were a sight, but although we were loaded down we were efficiently packed (if I do say so myself). I would have brought even less stuff but you never know when you'll need extra diapers, extra food, extra toys, extra clothes, extra wipes, extra bottles, etc. with babies so we were prepared.

I was worried about getting through security but it ended up being pretty easy. We loaded our bags, shoes, and car seat onto the conveyer belt to be scanned, picked up the babes (I had two), and the TSA person folded the strollers for us and put them on the belt. They also helped us set up the strollers so we could put the babes down before we grabbed our bags. That ended up being pretty easy.

We had about 30 minutes until our flight boarded so when we got to our gate I made the formula (all three babes are drinking milk in bottles now but you can't bring that through security so I just packed powder formula) and my MIL took each babe out of the stroller so they could walk around a little before getting on our flight. I then put Faith in the Ergo carrier to make it easier to get on the plane.

Since we were traveling with babes we got to board first. We wheeled the strollers down the jet way (with one empty seat since I had a babe in the carrier), got the other two babes out of the strollers (I had two), and I asked the woman behind us (three adults and one baby so they could spare the help) to fold our strollers for us. We walked on the plane (me with two babes), my MIL sat down and I handed her a second wiggly babe to hold while I installed the car seat while wearing Faith in the Ergo. Once I got Faith in the car seat I took Alexis from my MIL and we were ready to go! Although we were hoping that all three would sleep since it was naptime and we fed them bottles upon takeoff (which is their normal routine), no one slept. The first flight was a little over an hour so we survived.

Getting off the plane was a bit trickier. We let everyone else get off first since we had so much stuff to juggle. I put Alexis in the carrier while I uninstalled the car seat. I was having a little bit of trouble since it was a tight fit between the seats and I had to fold the car seat up, so the two babes on my MIL's lap were getting super wiggly. She asked the flight attendants if they wanted to hold a baby as two were standing there waiting for us, but they were oblivious to our struggle and one of them starting talking about how she has three kids of her own. So I said, "No, seriously please pick up a baby from her lap now before they fall off." She then said that she didn't realize we had three babies (REALLY?!?) and she quickly picked one up.

Once off the plane we took turns running into the bathroom and then we made the trek across the airport to our gate (from C to G in Minn and it felt like a marathon since I was wearing the super heavy and uncomfortable car seat on my back). But we made it to the gate with time to spare which meant we could quickly eat our PB&J sandwiches and let the babes eat some of theirs.

Getting on our second flight didn't go quite as smoothly as I forgot to put a babe in the carrier before we got on the jet way since I was so focused on eating the sandwiches and cleaning the sticky mess off the babes, but we somehow managed to fold both strollers by ourselves while juggling all three babes (and while other passengers walked by staring at us instead of offering to help). On our through the plane to our seats there were three flight attendants standing there greeting us and I said, "Who wants to hold a baby?!" The male flight attendant put his arms out and I handed him Faith so my MIL wouldn't have to hold two wiggly babes on her lap while I installed the car seat. We found our seats, did the same drill as the last flight with me installing the car seat with a babe in the carrier, and then we changed all three diapers as the other passengers found their seats. My MIL did ask the teenage boy sitting next to her to help hold babes a few times for a couple of minutes before, during, and after our flight, and although in the end he was willing the surprise on his face when she asked the first time was priceless.

Unfortunately this flight ended up being slightly delayed as we had to wait for passengers from other flights and then we waited for what seemed liked forever to take off. During this time we fed the babes more dinner (picture sticky grapes everywhere). Upon takeoff Alexis, who was in the car seat this time, fell asleep right away, Jack fell asleep on my MIL's lap after a little while, but Faith was a wiggly, squiggly babe on my lap. When Jack woke up Faith went to her lap and I took Jack as my MIL is better at getting them to fall asleep. Although Faith fought it, eventually she fell asleep and took a short nap as well. Although all three babes had their moments of frustration on both flights, overall they did great considering that they normally are on the move almost the entire time they are awake. Their favorite toys on the flight were: plastic cups from the drink cart and sticky notes that I brought along (a friend gave me this tip as they can stick them everywhere but they're easy to clean up). Faith made her own game of taking all of the sticky notes that I stuck to the back of the seat in front of us and putting them in the cup, dumping them out, and then doing it all over again. The air sickness bag was also a hit since it's crinkly and you can put stuff in it.

Getting off of the second flight went much more smoothly. The couple in front of us had taken an interest in the babes as soon as they got on the plane (they had a grandchild about the same age) and when the man asked how he could help I asked if he would carry a baby. He happily agreed. I'm not sure why, but the passengers in the four rows behind us didn't stand up when the plane got to the gate which gave me plenty of room to uninstall the car seat and get organized so we actually got off of the plane right away instead of waiting for everyone else to get off first. This was great as we were all tired of being on the plane by that point (I think the other passengers were all shocked when they saw us stand up with three babes so they all just stared at us instead of standing up...but it worked to our advantage).

Micah was waiting for us in the airport, we grabbed our checked bags, loaded up the car, and drove home. The babes were sooooo happy to be out of the plane and they seemed pretty excited to see their old toys again. But one more little mishap did happen as we were getting them ready for bed. I caught Faith chewing on something and I knew we hadn't given her any food since we were on the plane. I looked in her hand and saw a piece of hardened cat vomit....the other part was in her mouth. I'm still grossed out just thinking about it!

I'm not ready to hop on a plane tomorrow with three babes that can't walk, but I know it is possible. If you are traveling in the future and you see someone with young children just say, "How can I help?" and don't be surprised if they hand you a child!

On the way to the airport Jack and Alexis holding hands. Thanks again for letting us borrow your van Kyle and Jodi!

On our first flight. Faith safely in the car seat and Alexis on my lap. Yes, I was worried about how the flights would go.

Jack sleeping away in Grammy's arms on our second flight.

Alexis sleeping in the car seat on the second flight.

Faith concentrating on her sticky note and cup game on my lap.

Back home! This was the "game of the day"....getting in and out of the box even if it meant you were crushing your sister.

All smiles in their Holland, Michigan tees before Grammy drove back home. L to R: A, F, J.

No comments:

Post a Comment