Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Double Rainbow

This afternoon was tough. All week I've been dreading Jack's hospitalization for IVIG. In the grand scheme of things I'm glad his body is responding well to IVIG and that he only needs treatment every 4-5 weeks, but it puts a damper on our week. Although he is only in the hospital for less than 24 hours, we pretty much can't go anywhere for a few days between the hospital stay and staying home as he recovers since he has a history of getting really sick 24 hours after the treatment finishes. Plus I get really anxious in the days leading up to the hospital stay as it's not a fun experience for any of us.

Jack is a trooper, but nobody likes getting poked with needles and staying overnight in the hospital, and he does not understand why he has to go through this because he never feels sick from his low platelets. I waited until this morning to tell him about the hospital stay, and of course his reaction was, "I don't want to go" with a super sad face. I feel terrible about bringing him there even though I know it's for his own good.

It didn't work out for my MIL to come to ABQ to help this time and, although I know there are many people that would gladly help with the girls, I decided it would just be easier to bring them to the hospital with us. Nobody napped today since we had to leave so early (although I tried to get them to nap, so they all spent 45 minutes of quiet time in separate rooms). We left our house at 2:00 as the PICU wanted us to check in by 2:30. After we got settled, the girls went to the Child Life play room so that they could have some fun while I focused on Jack during his IV placement.

Last time Jack only had to get one poke and the IV was in, but this time was a different story. Over the course of two hours he was poked 10 times before the IV was placed.  In the end the nurse used an ultrasound machine so that she could see exactly where she was going. It was excruciating for Jack as it hurts and he is terrified, and it's a horrible thing for me to endure as his mommy. Although I try to comfort him, there is absolutely nothing that will stop him from screaming, yelling, and kicking once the nurse gets the needle out. He is a very brave boy, but he gets so angry when he gets poked so many times, and quite frankly I start feeling angry too as it's so unfair to make him go through it.

I loaded everyone in the wagon with Jack's overnight bag on top. We get tons of comments when we go in and out of the hospital like this.

The girls were very entertained by some toys they received from a friend this morning before they went to the playroom. The nurses kept commenting on how cute and well-behaved they were.

Jack had to take an ice cream and TV break between all of his pokes. I'll have to get him more ice cream sandwiches to enjoy once he is back home.

Micah arrived about 30 minutes after the IV was placed with dinner in hand, so we tried to get the kids to eat while the nurse gave Jack medications that he needs before he can get IVIG. Micah and I then ate our dinner while the kids watched part of a movie, and then I left with the girls around 7:15. By the time I left, Jack was completely exhausted. Between missing his nap, crying and fighting on and off for two hours while he got poked, and getting a dose of Benadryl, he was a zombie. I'm hopeful that he sleeps really soundly tonight as he receives his two doses of IVIG.

Three toddlers on a hospital bed zoned out watching the iPad
When the girls and I walked back to our car from the hospital I could see that there was a thunderstorm near our house as we live near the foothills so it's easy to see from a distance. As I drove down the highway we were in a complete downpour. When we brought Jack home from the NICU after his 6 week stay Micah and I drove through the worst downpour I've ever experienced in the car, and I was terrified. Jack was tiny and we were nervous to bring our first baby home. He was off of his monitors for the first time in his life, which is scary for NICU parents, so I was freaking out in the backseat when we found ourselves in the middle of a terrible storm. Tonight's rain reminded me of that afternoon almost three years ago, but instead of bringing Jack home I was leaving him at the hospital. It felt very ironic.

When I got off the highway I realized both girls had fallen asleep, which never happens, but it was almost their bedtime, the rain must have sounded like white noise to them, and they were exhausted from a busy day and missing their nap. As I got closer to our house I realized that there was a beautiful double rainbow next to the foothills. I stopped in a parking lot outside of our neighborhood and then again at the park in our neighborhood to take pictures. I was in awe. Although rainbows after storms are very common in ABQ, and we often see glimpses of double rainbows, this time I could see both rainbows from left to right and all the way to the top. I was disappointed that the girls were sleeping and missing this beautiful promise from God, but at the same time their sleeping let me soak it in a little more.

God is good. God promises peace. Jack may be in the hospital tonight, but the treatment is working and his platelets have now been within the normal range for a few weeks. The double rainbow made me feel like God was telling me that Jack will be okay. It was the perfect way to end our day at the hospital.

Both girls passed out in the backseat







And I got a little icing on top of the double rainbow. I decided to bring both girls straight to their beds instead of waking them up for a snack and PJ's. Both requested a drink when I laid them down, and I had to go into Alexis' room a couple of times for various reasons, but other than that they fell back asleep. It was just what this mommy needed after a long, stressful afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment