Sunday, October 2, 2016

Things Kids Say, Big Kid Beds, and Preschool

Since we started potty training six months ago, our kids seem to have grown up by years. Just today when I was in the church restroom with Alexis and Faith they both insisted on going into their own stalls and doing everything by themselves because, in Faith's words, "That is what my teacher lets me do at school." Wow. You are 3-years-old and suddenly you don't need help getting onto the big potty or pulling your pants back up? Of course, this isn't how they act all of the time as they are only 3 and sometimes they want help with e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g., but I almost felt sad sitting in my bathroom stall alone as the girls seemed so independent (but then I realized I was using the bathroom alone...amazing!).

When Alexis, Jack, and Faith were babies I couldn't wait for them to grow up. We felt like we were in the baby stage forever since they were born two whole months early and they were slightly delayed in some areas during their first two years of life. Looking at them and listening to them talk now it's hard to imagine that they were ever delayed, and we are very thankful for that, but some days I want time to slow down as our three babes have become kids.

All three kids say surprising, thoughtful, and funny things all of the time, and I haven't been very good at writing it all down, but here is a question they each asked recently:


  • Alexis asked, "Is it Thursday or Friday?" while eating dinner one day. Suddenly time has become relevant to her since she goes to school on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Micah and I were both shocked when she asked this question as it made her seem so much older than 3!
Alexis looking really grown up at lunch
  • Jack asked, "What's this?" while pointing to his hair after I mentioned that a classmate had black hair. He wanted to know what color his hair was since I was describing someone else's. Blonde isn't a word we say very often, so it makes sense that he wanted to know.
Someday Jack will grow into this guitar that I bought for $3 at the multiples club garage sale
  • Faith asked, "Can I sing Baa Baa Blacksheep with a girl in the song?" She realized that we were always singing about the "little boy that lives down the lane," but she wanted it to be a girl like her. I told her she could sing it however she wanted. Wow. Such deep thoughts for a 3-year-old! 
Faith loves to say, "Mom, take a picture of...." This time she wanted a pic of her doggies but I insisted that she was in the photo as well.
In the last few months, all three kids have transitioned from their crib daybeds into twin size beds. Jack inherited Micah's childhood bunkbed set and we bought the girls twin beds from Pottery Barn (we got a great deal as they were 50% off after a sale and a coupon!). They LOVE their "big beds" and I honestly think they sleep a little better in them. We love that we can lay down on their beds with them when we tuck them in at night or when they are having trouble sleeping during the night.

Jack was so excited for his bunk beds (his guitar blanket was made by his Grammy).

Faith got her bed once she was almost 100% potty trained, and she was so proud.

Alexis was thrilled to get her big bed as she was the last one to get it. We used potty training as an incentive, although she has regressed a bit since then. Such is life with kids sometimes.

Micah let the kids go on Jack's top bunk for the first time last week and they thought it was the greatest thing.


The kids started preschool a month ago. They are going on Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 9-12. I know many moms are sad when they drop their child off at preschool for the first time but, although I felt a twinge of sadness on the first day, mostly I was excited. It's been harder and harder to get things done around the house since the girls rarely nap, so I don't have a chunk of time in the afternoon like I used to have, and it's difficult to run errands with three kids no matter what their ages. So although preschool is a sign of our kids growing up, I mostly see it as an opportunity for our kids to learn to listen to other adults and interact with other children while I can get a few things done. Also, I am better able to focus on our kids if I don't have things hanging over my head like the grocery store and my volunteer accounting work.

Alexis

Faith

Jack



This was taken on the first day right before they walked into their classroom, so they were all a little nervous. Their backpack cubbies are behind them.

The first day...the girls are in yellow and pink and we were still convincing Jack that he was going to have fun. 

Tuesdays and Thursdays are very similar, except that on Tuesday they have Chapel and on Thursday they have music. The school also has special events and last week a petting farm came to the school. The kids loved it!

All three kids seem to enjoy preschool and they are learning a lot. Faith has been 100% confident from Day 1. She has not shed even one tear upon drop off and she has comforted her siblings when they were having a harder time. Jack was pretty teary for the first few weeks and there was even one morning that I had to pick him up from school 90 minutes into the 3 hour day because he wouldn't stop crying. I was nervous that he wouldn't want to go back to school after that, but this past week he has not had any issues. In fact, he walked into the classroom both mornings with a smile! Alexis has been a little emotional many mornings, but her teachers tell me that she calms down very quickly after I leave. I'm hoping that she will soon be as happy and confident as Faith and Jack. I know that they are all having a great time as they tell me many stories and they are very proud of the artwork that they bring home.

His teacher told me that she repeatedly told him, "Jack, paint over the tape," so that was the inspiration for his title.




One downside to having triplets in preschool is three times the snacks. Each child is assigned a day to bring the snack for the whole class (they also get to be line leader and bring show & tell on their day), but there are only 11 kids in our preschool class so our kids make up over 25% of the class...which means I get to supply over 25% of the snacks! I'm sure once we get into the routine of bringing the snack almost every single week it won't be that big of a deal, but right now the thought of it is a little daunting.

Although 3-year-olds are tough in many ways, we are really enjoying this stage too. It's fun to have conversations with our kids and we are truly able to enjoy some activities with them now. I'm sure that Alexis, Jack, and Faith will continue to grow up at an astonishing rate from now until they are adults, which is overwhelming to think about, but it also makes me excited to see who they each become in the future.

They all love to take photos of us, and this was taken by Jack on our anniversary.

The last gate was taken down in our house.

Gate free!

We won't be able to do this forever, but for now we still bathe them at the same time.

In August the kids started taking a gymnastics class for 30 minutes on Fridays. All three love it and it's fun for me to watch.

On Labor Day we drove to Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks National Monument and did a short hike. It was super hot, but the kids were troopers.

If Alexis or Faith get upset about something, they often hang their head and sulk. It's quite dramatic so it's hard not to laugh sometimes, but it's also quite frustrating as they'll do this for the silliest reasons.

Right now they are all enjoying their "new" tricycles. If only our backyard patio was bigger for riding.

The kids were really excited about the hot air balloons at the Balloon Fiesta on Saturday, although they did seem to enjoy them more from afar as it was less overwhelming and they could see so many at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment