Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Are They Triplets?!

Today we went to the lab near our house for a routine blood draw for Jack. We have been going in the late afternoon so that there isn't much of a wait since waiting is hard for 3-year-olds. Unfortunately, today the wait was a little longer than usual due to one patient holding up the line, but during our 20 minutes we managed to make the day of three older ladies.

Since we go to the lab every one to two weeks, the kids know the routine. After pulling our number from the machine, they all grabbed a magazine from the table and quietly sat down in seats in near me. Immediately the first older lady asks me, "Are they triplets?" I tell her that they are and then she goes on to say how beautiful they are and such. After our short conversation, she sits and watches them while we wait.

Apparently the second older lady, who was sitting only a few seats away from the first, didn't hear our brief, but loud, conversation and a few minutes later she asks, "Are they triplets?" I respond that they are and she goes on to tell me that they are beautiful. She then asks how old they are and when I tell her they are 3-years-old she starts telling me that she can't believe how well-behaved they are and how sane I am (it is not the first time someone has used this word to describe me when they find out I'm a triplet mom!). She continues with the compliments and then the kids start realizing that they have the spotlight.

At first the girls get up and start doing some twirls (they are really into dancing these days). Both older ladies are delighted by the entertainment. The second older lady asks me several more questions about them and the girls talk to her a little, and then a third older lady sits down and asks me, "Are they triplets?"

All of a sudden, the kids have an audience of three and Faith starts singing, "If You're Happy and You Know It." It was adorable, and I couldn't help but smile and laugh to myself, while at the same time I was starting to get worried because our wait was getting long and I know my 3-year-olds pretty well.

As I feared, all of the attention got the kids a little excited, and suddenly my "well-behaved" children were running around our section of the waiting room in circles giggling. I was afraid this would end in disaster quickly as someone was bound to fall, plus I'm pretty sure all three older ladies didn't approve of this behavior in a waiting room, so I quickly stopped the kids and suggested that they sing another song.

Much to the delight of the three ladies, all three kids sang "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" together. By this time I was sweaty and nervous as personally I don't enjoy all of the attention in public and I wasn't sure how much longer I could keep the kids relatively calm. Thankfully, at this moment our number was called and Jack quickly had his blood drawn.

We wandered out to the car afterwards and one of the kids announced that they had a poopy diaper, so I had to change that in the parking lot (one of them is still giving us a hard time with poop potty training). As soon as I finished that another kid announced that they had to poop and they could not wait until we got home, so I had to break out the travel potty.

This bike rack outside of the building is part of every single visit to the lab as the kids are convinced it's a jungle gym
Most of the time our trip to the lab is quick and easy, but today was a bit out of the ordinary. I'm glad that the kids behaved fairly well for the short time we were at the lab so that they could make the day of at least three people, but I'm also glad that their being triplets is becoming slightly less obvious as they get older since the questions and attention get old fast!

P.S. I'm excited that I'm finally getting some energy back after being unable to do anything in the evening for the last couple of months! I'm hoping to post to my blog more regularly again, but I also need to motivate myself to get things checked off of my very long "To Do" list as it kept growing despite my being exhausted.

No comments:

Post a Comment