Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Graham at 4 Months

This past month absolutely flew by since we were gone for 3+ weeks either in Michigan or on the road to / from Michigan. When Alexis, Jack, and Faith were babies I felt like time dragged since I was mostly homebound, it was completely overwhelming to have three babies, and they were slightly delayed so I wasn't seeing much change in them in the early months. This is definitely not the case with Graham since it seems like we are always on the go, one baby is definitely easier than three babies, and I don't think he'll have any delays as he seems on track developmentally right now. I'm nervous that I'm going to blink and miss Graham's whole first year, so I'm trying to enjoy the baby snuggles while he is still little!


Jack, Graham, and Faith (Alexis wasn't in the mood for being in the photo, but these two were very enthusiastic)



Looking at his lion blanket



Age: 4 months

Weight: 12 lbs 14.5 oz ........I think it's time to accept the fact that we have small babies at our house. I was hopeful that Graham would be a chunkster since our other babes were tiny preemies, but he is also small compared to other babies the same age. Graham weighs slightly more than Jack did at 6 months (4 months adjusted) and about what the girls weighed at 7 months (5 months adjusted). 

Length: about 24 inches

Size Clothes: He's growing into 6 month clothes. I just set the last of the 3 month clothes aside to sell at the upcoming New Mexico Parent's of Multiples Garage Sale next month, even though he could technically squeeze into some of them for a few more weeks. I am definitely ready to move all of the baby clothes and gear out of the house as soon as possible after holding on to a lot of it for 4+ years.

Naps: I am working on getting Graham to sleep in his crib during the day. At first it took a lot of effort on my part as I had to go in the room often to comfort him and give him his pacifier, which was difficult since I still have to monitor the other kids too, but now he seems to be understanding the whole "napping in a stationary bed alone" thing. I have been putting him in his sleep sack, giving him his Wubbanub, and singing him a couple of songs, and then leaving when he is still awake. This is what we did with the other kids, and I was always thankful that I didn't have to sit there and rock them to sleep as there is always so much else to do (plus, it makes it easier for babysitters and grandparents to put them to bed too). In the last week he has taken one short 30 minute nap in his crib most days, and these past couple of days he even slept for an entire hour in his crib during one nap. His other naps are either in the Ergo or in the stroller (if he falls asleep in his car seat when we are going somewhere). I'm hopeful we will get into a better nap routine once the kids go back to preschool in a couple of weeks.


First nap in his crib (in his future bedroom / the guest room). Before this I had been putting him in the pack n play in our room to nap.

Night Sleep: Graham is still sleeping in the pack n play next to me in our room. Unfortunately he seems to be going through a sleep regression, or maybe the traveling messed up his sleep a bit, as he went from only waking up once a night to waking up 2-3 times a night to eat. Needless to say, I'm exhausted and I hope that he goes back to waking only once ASAP.

Eating: He is eating every 2-3 hours during the day, plus a couple of times at night, which ends up being about 9 times a day. I have been waking him for a "dream feed" most nights in hopes that he sleeps a little longer, and to give him some extra calories since he is definitely on the light side.

Food Intolerances: Last month I wrote that I thought onions were bothering Graham and, believe it or not, he hasn't had a large spit up / vomit since I cut them out a month ago! I am still not eating dairy, soy, gluten, and avocado (plus beef due to my own aversion). Although it's been a steep learning curve, I have been able to eat fairly normal meals despite not eating all of these things .

Likes: Graham enjoys tummy time since he likes to watch all of the action (me working in the kitchen and the other kids playing) and look at toys, he likes when I sing to him, he enjoys "talking" to us, and he likes silly noises.


Studying his blocks

Talking to Alexis

Smiling at Mommy in the kitchen

At the Curious Kids' Museum in Michigan

Dislikes: Graham dislikes when the big kids get too close to his face or when they do something else that overwhelms him (too loud, etc.). He also hates being in his car seat for too long, especially after spending 6 days in the car during the last month on our drive to and from Michigan.

Milestones: Graham continues to get stronger at tummy time. He often rolls to his side from his back. He did roll over from front to back two times in a row last week, but I think it was a fluke since he hasn't done it again. He can grab objects and he brings them to his mouth. He also enjoys "standing" when placed on his feet.


Chewing on one of the crinkly toys that Grammy made for Alexis, Faith, and Jack

Places he's been: Michigan! And Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Illinois, and Indiana on our drive. He was a trooper during the first two days both ways, but by the third day he was done with his car seat and things were a little rough. Micah and I ended up sitting in the back of the car most of the drive home so that we could console Graham and give him his pacifier in hopes of keeping him a little happier. I do think it helped a little. During our Michigan trip Graham went on his first carousel ride, surrey ride, hayride, and trolley ride (the last three were a first for Alexis, Jack, and Faith as well!), but he slept through 99% of it. 


During the looonnnnngggg ride home from Michigan

Ottawa Beach on Lake Michigan

Hayride

Things he does that makes us smile: Babble, scream, laugh (he's just starting to do little laughs), and of course when he smiles at us. He is also rolling onto his side quite frequently, which makes me think he is getting closer to rolling over, and I love to see this kind of progress. We also get excited when he puts his Wubbanub pacifier into his mouth by himself.

Some random photos from the past month...


Looking at Mommy while in the Ergo

Enjoying our picnic at the zoo

Faith asked me to lay him next to her and Lexi and the result was so cute

This was the kids' idea as well while at the Botanic Garden last week

We went to a couple of restaurants in Michigan, and deBoer Bakery was one of them. Usually it is one of the highlights of my trip, but I couldn't get my normal breakfast on my current diet for Graham. There isn't much a mom won't do for a baby!

He is a smiley baby!

While in Michigan Graham was introduced to so many relatives and friends...


Uncle Kyle

Aunt Jodi

Cousin Adelle

Grandma...this is the fourth time they have been together since she has been to ABQ three times since April including his birth and two trips after that!

Cousin Brayden

Aunt Emily

Uncle Kent

"Aunt" Katie (my lifelong friend that just happened to be living in Holland for the summer, which made my trip extra special!)

My mom's lifelong friend Barb who always graciously invites us out to their cottage near Lake Michigan when we are in town

No comments:

Post a Comment